Our final major assignment for the Drawing was what our instructor named a "Series Piece". Rather than draw a series of pictures, each relating to the next, we were instructed to draw just one picture that contained 4 separate pictures within it. This was definitely a challenging piece, as each "mini-drawing" needed to be stylistically distinct from the other three pieces, and yet all four pieces had to work together cohesively to make the larger piece of art. It took a while, but I think I finally got it. It is titled "Five Minutes in January" and is approximately 29" x 21". For those five minutes in January of 2009, I was overwhelmed by the site of thousands of Bohemian waxwings (Bombycilla garrulus) flying in an enormous loop in the sky and demolishing all the Elderberries on the neighborhood trees. It was truly a magnificent sight!
We had our next-to-last class in Digital art today. It was time to finish the last project and create a digital portfolio of our works. Unfortunately, the last project is an animation that needs to be converted to another format before I can post it here, but I can post my portfolio:
The topic for this painting was "The Walk". We were asked to think about what walking meant to us and to portray it on canvas in some fashion. Well, I had loads of ideas, but finally settled on walking in the city from a child's point of view: all the enormous grownups rushing around in their business suits, too intent on their destination to stop and enjoy the little things in life. In this instance, the "little things" are the flowers, which are actually much larger than the ones I saw on side of the road in Quesnel, but a child would see those as the most important items on a walk, wouldn't he?
For the past 3 weeks, we have spent part of each painting class, painting the nude figure. This woman was lovely and curvy, and made for some good painting. The model's pose and expression were those of a strong, capable woman, proud of who she is and how she looks. I had the words from an old Helen Reddy song stuck in my mind the entire time I was painting her (as you can tell from title of the piece).
Now that it is hung somewhere where I can get a decent photo of it, I can finally show you my jellies. This was done for my painting class, but we were encouraged to "think outside the box" and get creative. I decided to "paint" with fabric, and created a quilted wallhanging. The other challenge was to use the same image 25 times in our piece of art. Being somewhat masochistic, I decided to do a group of 3 jellyfish as my image (see my digital jellies for an explanation of where I saw the critters). In the end, I repeated the image more than 25 times, so there are over 75 individual jellyfish in this wallhanging. Since we also had to create the image using 25 different techniques, I have a variety of jellies -- stamped, felted, painted, drawn, inked, stencilled, quilted, thread-painted, crocheted (with wire), and more. It was an all-consuming project, but well-worth the effort. The final piece is approximately 3 feet wide and 6 feet tall.