Catch-up month complete

January came and went in a flash, didn't it? I spent the month catching up - putting away decorations, putting away residency supplies and exhibition pieces and then moving on to those other things that didn't see much attention last year, like migrating files from an obsolete desktop to some hard drives, for later filing onto a newer computer.

I'm now looking ahead (and forward) to the upcoming year. My 2020 Hindsight project will continue, albeit at a slow and relaxed pace. The current postcard is bringing back memories of last year, for sure. 

Last year, at the end of January, I took part in a weekend-long wool dyeing workshop. In November 2019, I had been gifted with two spinning wheels by a friend and was looking forward to an intensive year of working with fleece, culminating in a weekend spinning workshop with a master spinner in September. Somehow those plans got sidetracked, and the second workshop never happened, due to the pandemic. 

No matter! I still came away with some beautifully dyed strands of wool and the spinning wheels are not going anywhere. In the meantime, I thought I'd use some of the marigold-dyed strands to create a new postcard. I experimented with weaving them, and am now embroidering marigolds over the weaving. 

This one will take a while, but I'm fine with that. It is time to slow down a wee bit. Although I will have a few activities on the go this year (fiddle, postcards and wooden puppets), they are meant to be enjoyable, and that is how they shall remain - no exhibition deadlines, no need to work on anything in a strict order, and if I don't quite finish "on time" - no sweat.



Comments