Still carving

With all the unpacking, settling in, exploring, gardening and looking for work, it's been a challenge to slow down and make time to carve puppets. My previous post shows Tomba, assembled and dressed in March. I still have one puppet to finish before I complete the year long course I started two years ago in Bernd Ogrodnik's online academy. It's a bit (a lot?) more complicated than the ones I've already made and I guess I was putting it off.  The bandsaw and drill press were assembled in the bike shed (no dedicated workshop yet). What was I waiting for?

Three weeks ago, I finally took the plunge, drew the pattern and found the wood I needed in a tote in the greenhouse (we've had to get creative with our storage in this smaller place). A long fluroescent green extension cord connected the power from the house to the shed and I was able to start rough-cutting the pieces. I broke "only" two blades - good thing the wood was free for this puppet!

There was a brief pause as company came through to visit (so happy they came!), and then I took my knives outside. It's been lovely to sit in the shade of a tree and shave away the wood to reveal puppet parts underneath. Carving with knives is more peaceful than with a rotary power tool (although that may be needed soon for some of the parts) and I can hear the birds singing as I work.

As long as I am still "between jobs", I shall make a point of going outside each day to make more wood shavings. Little bit by little bit, that puppet will take shape.


Comments