Benefits of de-cluttering - new art from old treasures

Well, the first room has been successfully de-cluttered and boxes of books and belongings taken to the thrift store. Being on a roll, but not wanting to get tired of the de-cluttering process by moving onto another room right away, we decided to tackle a box that has been travelling from house to house with us since we were married. It was full of seashells gathered during my childhood, given to me by friends and added to over the years since high school. 

My youngest remembers opening the box and admiring the shells and the stories behind them when we lived in Prince Rupert many years ago. We left in 2002 and the box has not been opened since. 

Over the years, we wondered how the shells could come out again. Maybe as a glass-topped coffee table? We didn't need a coffee table, though. Maybe on display shelves? Didn't need any more of those. On a recent business trip, my husband finally found the solution in a hotel bathroom - a deep display frame with a potpourri or crazy-quilt arrangement of seashells. He came home, built the frame and I have been busy for the past week arranging and rearranging my old "friends" in their new home. So many memories came to the fore as I unwrapped them from their protective packaging.

Here is a snapshot of a small part of the arrangement:

It will hopefully be finished this weekend, before we enter our new month of de-cluttering and tackle the next room in the house. 

I've also been going through some other old friends - 20 years of Quilting Arts Magazines - and clipping out the how-to articles I always wanted to try but never got around to doing. 

Once the final puppets from my course are made, and as I contemplate which ones to make next, it might be nice to dig through the articles I keep and actually do a few of the projects. My sewing machines have been feeling rather neglected this past year.

The rest of the magazines will be passed on to my Art Heals units for collage - new art and new life for these colour-filled magazines. It has been so much fun to leaf through them again and I look forward to seeing what artworks are created from them. 

Do you have old magazines you no longer need? If so, feel free to drop them off at Two Rivers Gallery, c/o Art Heals. We sure could use a fresh supply!

Comments