Keeping busy and watching the snow fall

 

Two cloth dolls watching the snow fall in Prince George, BC.

The snow is falling and my studio (which is no longer confined to the basement, it seems) continues to be active. In October, I finished sewing a set of dolls, seen above still waiting patiently for their final attire. It's been five years since our eldest daughter entered the Queen of Peace Monastery near Squamish, BC, and it felt like the right time to commemorate her First Profession of Vows, which occurred three years ago. She's joined a community of women from around the world, all of whom value education, sustainable living and aren't afraid of hard work. They've even spent the last year or so installing a mini-hydroelectric project which will offset their energy costs!

I still need to set the two Sisters in their tableau positions. In the meantime, they're just hanging out in my living room and reading: 

Two cloth doll nuns sitting on a fireplace mantlepiece

I've also been carving a wooden puppet - lots of learning in that process! The body, legs and arms are finished. This weekend I shall work on the head and face and see how far I get. 

 Carved pieces of wood arranged to form a puppet - not yet finished.

I'm excited to see what it looks like when I finally finish. Progress is slower than I might like, but between the dolls, wrapping and sending Christmas presents (early), making a Secret Santa present, addressing envelopes, spending time with pets, going for  walks, and...

... signing a contract and setting details for a one-month's artist residency at Omineca Arts Centre in the month of December...

....things have been a tad busy!

Christmas cookie baking will commence this weekend, all going well. I'd like to have my cards sent and the majority of the cookies baked before December 1st. If I thought I was busy now, just wait until next month!

Details of the residency will be posted soon. In the meantime, today might just be a good day to have a nap. My excitement over all the goings-on has seen me wake up early every day. Or maybe that was the time change and I'm taking longer to adjust. Either way, my eyes are sleepy and a nap sounds delicious!



Comments