'Tis the season

Last week we hosted the staff potluck/Christmas party at our house. It was a wonderful evening, with almost 30 people in attendance. There were people in the kitchen, in the living room, sitting on stools, on chairs and on the floor. Oh, and more downstairs, where the not-so-young-anymore offspring of staff hung out away from us grownups.

As part of the fun for the evening, there is always an optional Secret Santa exchange. The rules are simple - homemade gifts or something purchased for under $12 (which requires a bit of creativity in this day and age, to obtain something personal to the recipient).

I find the gift exchange an excellent opportunity to try out a new idea. This year's idea came from a 2010 Christmas gift edition of Quilting Arts Magazine, which was my inspiration so many years ago to venture into the world of art quilts.

However, I digress. The inventor of this idea was Kelli Nina Perkins, whom I do not know but would love to thank for submitting her photos and step-by-step instructions to the magazine. I used her ideas and made a quilted rolling pen scroll personalized to my Secret Santa recipient.


Here's what it looks like on the inside. There is a recipe on the inside for comfort pie, to be made as often as needed. Ingredients include time with friends, warm hugs, laughter and spores of joy (a reference to her fiance's recent public art project).



On the night of the party, M-- opened her present and was at a loss for words, which, for a writer, is very unusual. She held onto it for the rest of the evening, which warmed my heart.

Will I make another one? Eventually, yes. I'd like a bit more time next time, to add some hand stitching. With this year's tight time frame, I substituted block prints and some inktense colouring for hand stitching, to give it a hand-made touch. The rest was machine-sewn, which gave me a chance to experiment with the new sewing machine.

I also received a wonderfully personalized gift and I know who made it, too! Thanks so much CHH! I think I have an idea of something else to try...


Comments