Quite the ride

I'm back in the saddle again, hoping to start up with regular posts. It's been an enjoyable year, with trips and visits, fiddle camp, fiddle tunes, work and gardening. In an around all of those activities, I've been poking along with my doll making (and other things). I notice that my last post talked about setbacks - they are part of the process, and there were many in the making of my second doll this year.

I saw this fellow on the local streets a few years back and was amazed at his ability to ride the unicycle, push the carriage and still have things in his hands. Of course, I was driving a car at the time and saw him for only a brief moment, so there are many artistic liberties taken with how he looks!

This was a fun project, to be sure, but it seemed that for every three steps forward, there were two steps back. That being said, it is finally finished and I can now move on to my next project!

Here are some progress shots:

1. Making the props: Teamwork is the key here, with my husband doing all the metalwork. I got to fill wheels, paint them, create the seat, pedals and the fabric portion of the carriage, and figure out how to attach the doll to the one-wheeled bike. I'll leave it to your imagination to figure out where the post coming out of the top of the seat went...


2. Doll's clothes: The fellow was already made (a "failure" from a previous project), but needed clothing to fit my vision for this project. Let's just say that teeny tiny clothing is a bit fiddly to make. I was pleased with the stonewashed jeans effect. For the record, white rubber bands come in handy - don't throw them out.


3. Baby: Did I say small clothes were fiddly? Well, small dolls are even more so. I think I need to go back to making some larger ones...


There you have it, in a nutshell. Eight months of work, with lots of breaks. Hopefully the next one won't take as long.


Oh, and the book doll is finished. I'll find those pictures and post them soon.

Comments