Art Heals

Pablo Picasso is quoted as saying "art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life". I can certainly relate to that.  Getting involved in my art projects, whether they be sewing related, drawing, painting or digital, always results in a warping of time and clears the monkey brain that insists that things are not going well.  I get up from my endeavours refreshed and ready to face the word again.

One of my day jobs is that of Art Heals Coordinator through Two Rivers Gallery in Prince George, BC. I am lucky enough to be able to take Picasso's concept of "washing away... the dust of everyday life" to various groups around town. I work with people with mental health issues, people undergoing withdrawal from a variety of substances, people who are struggling with something in their day-to-day lives. For an hour each week, they work with me on a variety of art projects, often losing themselves in the making and only looking up when I let them know I have to pack up and move on to the next group.

To keep things fresh, I try not to repeat activities more than twice in a year. The clients may move in and out of the units I work in, but the staff usually participate as well. For their sake, and for mine, I take time at home to explore and experiment with new activities, which feeds my soul on the weekends (and puts my schedule out of whack - remember that time warp I mentioned?  Lunch was late today). 

Here's today's experiment, using ink and watercolours. I'm curious to see how the Art Heals participants enjoy it:


Comments