Documenting the process - the hands

Well, turning the body parts right-side out went pretty well, until I got to the hands. As I expected, turning the fingers was a challenge. The first set of fingers, which I had reinforced with a fray-stop product, didn't turn at all, as the passage through each finger was too narrow to accommodate the fabric.

Today, I went to Plan B, drew up another pattern for the forearms and hands (same as the first) and then sewed the arms and hands only to the mid-palm region:



Then I turned each forearm right-side out, and cut out the fingers. At that point, I unpinned each finger, one by one, and sewed the fronts and backs together by hand, turning the edges under as I went. That was still quite the challenge and took several hours, as the jeans material was thick and wanted to fray faster than I could turn and sew it. Needless to say, there are many stitches criss-crossing back and forth along the seams, and the effect is still rather rough:



Once both hands were turned, I could add the "skeleton". Here you see one hand, complete with skeleton, ready for stuffing. The skeleton allows me to bend the fingers of the doll to fit the activity she will be doing.



Next step: stuffing the body parts, attaching them, then posing the doll.

Comments