Shibori dyeing

Yesterday I had a chance to be a student, once again. I took a Shibori dyeing class, led by Bernadette Thompson at the Prince George Fibre Arts Guild. Shibori dyeing is a resist-dyeing technique, where you use stitched and pulled thread to create the resist areas on the fabric. It was a fun day, and I learned quite a bit. The most important lesson, though, was to pull your threads tightly, in order to get the shibori effect (i.e. clear designs). The cloudy designs were also nice, I found, but in some spots I had the threads so loose that no designs appeared, really. It is a technique I will be trying again in the near future, once the weather warms up. I'm intrigued by the idea that a person can also stitch a picture and have it resist-dyed into the fabric. I saw a photo of a shibori turtle and definitely want to try that!!!









Comments