Art journal

Just as I've tried to keep up a blog with random success, so have I tried different forms of diaries, journals and art journals over the years. The latest incarnation is the most fun so far. I picked up the book "No Excuses Art Journaling" by Gina Rossi Armfield while on holiday at the beginning of September. She uses a regular weekly calendar/agenda and uses it to do a visual entry each day, recording the weather, her colour of the day, a word to describe the day or her mood and a design element on a daily basis. In addition, there are weekly and monthly art assignments -- sometimes drawing, sometimes writing, sometimes photographing.

I thought I'd try it out and have so far been enjoying the process. I can already see where I will be tweaking her ideas to suit my own interests (e.g. I'd rather write a couple of lines about my day or make to-do list rather than draw a daily design, and I am not too great at choosing a daily colour that has meaning, so will have to replace that with something else), but the basic premise is easy to follow and leaves lots of room for creative moments that don't take up oodles of time out of the day.

Here is a sample page of mine, so far (with only one of the three photos showing for that week):



... and here is a tape landscape I made with painted tape (courtesy of my parent and tot Picasso's from last week -- we were painting bird feeders and I wanted to keep the clear plastic un-painted, so covered it with tape... which was, of course, painted by the children):



Definitely not "high art", but fun, nevertheless and I think I shall continue into October with another month of random acts of art journalling!

Comments