Monotypes and "Found" Images

This project was a fun one -- create random shapes in colors and then "find" images within them which can be brought out with paint, pencils, ink , etc. We first created Monotypes, which involved pouring/spattering/brushing watercolor paint onto a plexiglass sheet, and then laying a piece of rice paper over the sheet and "printing" the paint onto the paper. This created wonderful blobs of color and special effects, depending on how the paper soaked up the paint. Once the paint was dry, we had to look at the blobs and random spatterings and "find" images which could be developed further. I've finished the two "realistic" pieces, and thought I'd post them here. The monotype for the turtle was made on a piece of sketchbook paper, rather than rice paper, and the patterns of the paint that were created when the paper was pulled off of the plexiglass reminded me of the underwater reefs I saw when scuba diving many years ago. My son has claimed this one to add to his turtle collection!

Terrapin (9" x 11.5")

"Toward the Light" is a bit different for me, as it can have all sorts of spiritual meanings, depending on the viewer. That being said, I often see faces and figures in random patterns (spackled ceilings, bark on trees, etc.). The swirls and patterns of paint on this monotype, combined with the bright yellow cloud-like shape in the upper left-hand corner, suggested an ethereal scene for these figures.

"Toward the Light" (11.5" x 9")

Now I need to peruse my other monotypes and develop two of them into abstract pieces. I think finding people and animals is easier!!!

Comments