Still Life in Black and White

In the drawing class, our first major assignment is to complete a large drawing of a still life in graphite. The first challenge was to set up the still life. I kept changing my mind and rearranging things. Once I was satisfied with what was there, I was instructed to color my paper all grey!


After the desired level of grey-ness was reached, I used a kneadable eraser to "lift out" the highlights, and then started in to draw the rest of the picture. It will take a while to finish, from the looks of things, but I am pleased with the progress so far. From beginning to end, we are aiming for a 20 hour picture, but I have a feeling it will take me a tad longer. So as not to leave you in suspense, I will post progress reports.


Here are the first two images:




I am actually a little further along, but am running out of time to take a picture today. Perhaps the next image will be the final product?

Comments